Lincoln Memorial University is a private, independent, non-sectarian University with a clearly defined mission that distinguishes it from other educational institutions. While the University cherishes its heritage and rich traditions, it recognizes that dynamic growth and change are required to meet the needs of today’s students. The University has identified the following institutional goals that are derived from its mission and reflect its vision for the future.
- Make educational opportunities available to all without reference to social status.
- Strengthen student recruitment and retention by fostering an academic and social environment that facilitates success and rewards achievement.
- Maintain fiscal integrity in all University activities, programs, and operations through efforts to increase endowment and financial standing.
- Provide quality educational experiences that have their foundation in the liberal arts and professional studies, promote high personal standards, and produce graduates with relevant career skills to compete in an ever-changing, increasingly global society.
- Advance Cumberland Gap, Appalachia, and the global community through public service and outreach activities in continuing education, health care, leadership development, recreation, and the fine and performing arts.
- Serve as a critical educational, cultural, and recreational center for the areas served and develop and maintain facilities, which are safe, inclusive, and conducive to the development of body, mind, and spirit.
- Attract and retain a diverse and highly qualified faculty and staff, committed to teaching, research, and service.
- Commit resources to support the Institution’s primary role of teaching, and, as appropriate, research and service.
- Support faculty and staff development programs with priority for allocation of resources determined by institutional needs.
- Improve technological resources for faculty, staff, and students in all academic programs regardless of where or how programs are delivered.
- Develop and implement academic programs in response to anticipated or demonstrated educational needs and continuously evaluate and improve the effectiveness of current programs.
- Provide a caring and nurturing environment where students, faculty, and staff with varied talents, experiences, and aspirations come together to form a diverse community that encourages students to grow intellectually and personally to meet their academic and career goals.
- Provide quality educational opportunities through selected degree programs for students who live and/or work a significant distance from the Lincoln Memorial University main campus, and for whom other options are not as accessible or satisfactory.
Revised, July 11, 2019
Lincoln Memorial University Board of Trustees
Revised: June 20, 2023, at University Strategic Planning Retreat