Withdrawal from the University

“Withdrawal from the University” refers to the official process in which the student withdraws from ALL classes, from the residence hall (if applicable), and from any current student relationship with the University. The student initiates this process by obtaining a Withdrawal Form in the Registrar’s Office or from the Registrar’s home page.

The student must fill out the form and obtain the required signatures: Dean of Community College Partnerships (for international students or a recipient of veteran’s benefits), School Dean (for graduate students), Director of Residence Life, Bursar, Executive Director of Student Financial Services, Dean of Students, and the Registrar. The student must also return his/her student identification card and parking sticker to the Office of Student Services when withdrawing from the University.

Further, any withdrawing student who has received a student loan must have an exit interview with a Financial Aid Counselor.

Courses for which the student is registered will appear on the transcript with a notation of “WD.” The official date of WD will appear with courses. The notation of WD does not calculate in the GPA.

Any student who ceases attending classes before the end of the semester or summer term without completing official withdrawal from the University automatically receives the grade “F” for such course(s), so noted on the student’s academic transcript. Withdrawal from the University does not affect the cumulative GPA of the student if processed by the close of the “last day to drop without ‘F’,” as announced in the Academic Calendar.

The financial status of the student is affected by withdrawal from the University in the following ways:

  1. Refunds for tuition and fees are credited to the student’s account according to the refund schedule.
  2. Housing and meal fees are credited to the student’s account according to the refund schedule.
  3. Financial Aid will be prorated to the student according to the Federal Return of Title IV Funds Policy. Withdrawal after the refund period means the student will have used an entire semester’s eligibility of aid.
  4. The balance of the student’s account with the Student Accounts Office will be credited or billed to the student as appropriate.
  5. Once the student has completed registration, i.e., turned in the Registration Form to the Student Accounts Office, the student is liable for all registration fees even though classes have not been attended, unless the student completed an official Withdrawal Form.
  6. Students who are suspended from LMU or are ineligible to continue in an academic program because of grade deficiencies and who are registered in advance for the subsequent semester, may be required to complete an official Withdrawal Form.

Administrative Withdrawals

Students who have not attended courses by the ninth class meeting of the semester (or equivalent for summer terms) will be reported to the Registrar’s Office, Financial Aid, and the Tagge Center and may be administratively withdrawn with a WD recorded on the transcript for each course. Students who cease attending classes prior to the end of the semester, mini-term, or summer term without completing the official withdrawal from the University may also be administratively withdrawn, with an F recorded on the transcript for each course. (See “Unofficial Withdrawal.”)

Summer Withdrawals

The official withdrawal process, as set forth by our Registrar’s office, is required for withdrawing from a summer semester. Upon receiving a Withdrawal Form for summer, the Financial Aid Office would use the actual start and end dates of the enrolled classes in the R2T4 calculation. At the end of the summer semester, Financial Aid reviews for Unofficial Withdrawals. The credit and refund schedule are dependent upon the length of the term and the course start date. More information can be found on the LMU website’s Registrar page.